Sunday, January 19, 2014

How Social Proof Almost Made Me Buy A Ticket To An Awful Show At Radio City Music Hall

His singing was off key. Nothing terrible, but nothing worth bragging about either.
He sounded like an average guy singing along with the radio in his car. However this guy wasn't singing in his car. He was singing in my car.
I had turned on my car radio to listen to my favorite morning radio show when the singing warbled out of my car speakers.
The radio show host interrupted and complimented the singer.
"You could play Radio City Music Hall," the radio host said to the singer.
I swerved on the road.
"Am I crazy or does he have a great voice?" the host asked.
I thought the radio host had lost his mind. Who was this guy kidding? Was he tone deaf?
Then his co-host chimed in with the same positive reaction. As did the rest of the staff. They were unanimous in their decision: this guy could sing.
The host offered to put up his own money and produce a show at Radio City Music Hall to showcase this singer's "talent."
I began questioning my own judgment. Maybe my perspective was wrong. How could they think this guy's singing was good enough for Radio City Music Hall... and I couldn't?
They played more of his singing. Something unexpected happened. It was as if the quality had improved from the earlier plays. Yet still, something sounded off. It still gave me doubts about its quality.
I had listened to this radio show for over twenty years. I was a loyal listener. And if they said this guy's singing was good...
I was starting to change my opinion.
If Everybody Jumped Off A Cliff, Would You?
We value other people's opinions when they are from the majority of people we like and identify with. We begin to question our own opinion that differs from theirs. While we may not change our opinion, we can feel the influence creeping in.
This is how trends develop. How popularity works. How tipping points occur.
It's called the social proof phenomenon.
In his book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert Cialdini, Ph.D., found that "without question, when people are uncertain, they are more likely to use others' actions to decide how they themselves should act. But, in addition, there is another important working condition: similarity... we are more inclined to follow the lead of a similar individual than a dissimilar one." 1
The Curtain Pulled Back
I almost jumped off that proverbial cliff before my faith was restored.
The radio host revealed it was all a practical joke on the singer.
I felt relieved and deceived at the same time. I felt relieved that I was correct in my original assessment, and I felt deceived because I had questioned my own judgment based on their lies. The radio show made it believable. I was part of the prank since I started listening to it halfway through the segment.
I remembered an old lesson, tried and true: Listen to your gut.
I also remembered how powerful a weapon social proof can be in direct response marketing.
Powerful Weapons Must Be Used With Care.
Social proof usually comes in the form of testimonials.
Testimonials are supportive comments made by previous clients who purchased a product or service. They connect the new prospect with those who have benefited. It shows proof. Social proof.
If it worked for them, it can work for you.
Social proof must be used responsibly. You cannot abuse or misuse testimonials. They have to be real opinions from real clients. They must be honest. Did they really get a benefit out of the product or service? How and why?
If testimonials aren't honest or real, and if the prospect buys from you or finds out the testimonials are anything but honest and real, they will feel deceived, and you'll end up with a lost client. Or worse: you'll end up with a bad reputation.
Negative word of mouth spreads faster than wild fire and soon you'll find it harder to connect with future prospects or make future sales.
As for the radio show, it's a comedy show. They weren't selling anything. But if they had been selling tickets to this show... and if I had succumbed to social proof...
I might have found myself jumping off that proverbial cliff and buying a ticket to an awful show at Radio City Music Hall.
___________________________________________________________________
1 Cialdini, Ph.D., Robert B., Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, (New York, New York: HarperCollins, Revised Edition, 2007), 140.
Rock Capuano provides effective direct response marketing solutions to marketers and business owners. His direct response marketing transformed a small therapy company into a million dollar enterprise with franchises. He publisher of http://www.thekronumreport.com, the first news resource on the Kronum sport. Visit his website at http://www.RockCapuano.com.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rock_Capuano

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8247737

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

BUY ONLINE - PICK UP AT STORE

ONLINE BOOKING SERVICE